Aslaug Magnusdottir and Lauren Santo Domingo are the fabulous ladies behind Moda Operandi, the first online luxury fashion retailer to allow members to pre-order tomorrow’s styles today. Working closely with the world’s top designers, Moda Operandi provides fashion trendsetters from all over the world with access to complete collections from the finest brands - including exclusive ready-to- wear, accessories and jewelry - immediately following their runway show.
Who are your fashion icons?
Aslaug: Kate Moss and Cate Blanchett.
Lauren: Nan Kempner and Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. They're very different from one another, of course, but true icons nonetheless.
Where do you find inspiration?
Aslaug: Inspiration can come from a lot of places: conversations with friends, music, unusual destinations or people, or raw nature. The most inspirational experiences are often those that are somewhat uncomfortable or strange in the beginning but keep you thinking later.
Lauren: Everywhere. I am especially inspired by all the young talent in New York City, both in fashion and in the arts. There is such innovation coming out of our city.
What is in your dream closet?
Aslaug: My dream closet is extremely well-organized and spacious so it is easy to go through and put together outfits. It is well-edited and every piece in it is something that I love. It has variety in color and design so that I can quickly and easily find something to fit the occasion and my mood. It has a good mix of cocktail and day dresses, beautiful heels and boots, lots of handbags and clutches, and a nice array of costume and fine jewelry.
Lauren: Lots and lots of evening bags. I tend to wear the same looks with great frequency, but find I can completely reinvent a look just by switching out accessories.
What are your favorite trends for fall?
Aslaug: Some of my favorite trends for fall are:
- Ponchos/big sweaters: I ordered a beautiful white knit poncho from Isabel Marant and several big black and white poncho shaped sweaters from Alexander Wang.
- Over-the-knee boots: High boots go beautifully with ponchos and big sweaters. My favorites for fall are the Isabel Marant fringe boots and Nicholas Kirwood’s thigh high suede boots.
- Hats: They are the perfect chic accessory to finalize a look. One of my favorite hats for fall is DVF’s Bolero hat, made by Worth and Worth
- Cuffs/bracelets: Cuffs and bracelets continue to be a big trend for fall. I love the crystal cuffs from Vionnet and Janis Savitt makes beautiful cuffs in gold and silver
- Red cocktail dresses: The fall runways were full of red. I plan to buy a beautiful red cocktail dress as one of my in-season purchases.
What advice would you give to aspiring fashionistas?
Lauren: Do your homework. I have always been a student of fashion history but when I was in high school and university, the internet was not what it is now. The wealth of images, stories, and information is unprecedented. There is no excuse not to know who Paul Poiret was or to be able to differentiate the work of Avedon from Penn.
Aslaug and Lauren have a styling challenge just for you. Dress either Aslaug or Lauren for a New York summer night filled with rooftop parties, trendy restaurants, theater, and fun! They'll choose one winner to receive Eddie Borgo's Bear Trap Bangles in rose gold and a $200 gift card to be spent on Moda Operandi!